Full Time – Exempt
Reports to CEO
About the New Pennsylvania Project:
The New Pennsylvania Project (NPP) was established in May 2021 modeled by the success of the New Georgia Project. NPP is a voting rights organization with a year-round primary focus on voter registration, civic education and mobilization. NPP centers historically disenfranchised and often neglected Black, Indigenous and other people of color, immigrant communities and the youth in our work. Through civic engagement, we ensure all eligible voters feel compelled to exercise their freedom to vote in the Commonwealth.
The Role: Chief of Staff
The New Pennsylvania Project seeks a Chief of Staff to oversee the alignment of staff, goals, and internal systems across the organization.
This candidate must be able to manage numerous, competing priorities and be flexible to make
changes to meet the needs of a burgeoning and fast-moving organization. This will require
leadership and accountability to solve problems and identify solutions so the organization can
reach its goals.
The Chief of Staff will also perform job duties for the New PA Project Education Fund, a 501(c)(3) with which NPP has a cost-sharing agreement. These duties will include Board Administration, grant compliance, and other duties as assigned.
This is a senior management position in a collaborative, fast-paced, and innovative environment; the work will require some weeknight and weekend hours. This position will expand the capacity of the organizations’ Organizing and Leadership Team. The position is directly accountable to the Executive Director.
- Executive Support (30%)
Assist CEO/President with maintaining a hectic calendar and leadership responsibilities
- Manage the office of the CEO, including scheduling meetings, booking travel, and managing expenses.
- Oversee grant and contract compliance for all programs to ensure the organizations are delivering on all areas of grant agreements and contracts.
- Attending meetings on behalf of the CEO as requested
Staff Coordination and Management (60%)
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management to ensure NPP staff and programs are embodying and working toward the adopted mission and goals of the organizations.
- Assist with human resources systems, including maintaining staff timesheets/time off, fellowship tracking and payments, and staff expense reports.
- Work with COO and all supervisors to ensure alignment of organizational systems and processes described above
- Assist with necessary forms and reviews for legal, auditing, tax and government certifications
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws for C3-C4 operations and cost-sharing
- Provide guidance and proposals to keep organization in line with non-profit best practices
Board Administration (10%)
- Schedule regular Board meetings and monthly Board committee meetings (for both the NPP Board and the Board of NPPEF)
- Prepare and distribute materials for Board members
- Coordinate the creation of department reports for Board members
Qualifications and Skills:
The ideal candidate should have the following experience and qualifications:
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience including supervision of staff
- Demonstrated experience creating and leading aligned, accountable, and successful teams
- Compliance of C3 and C4 regulations and reporting requirements
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to work with a diverse array of individuals
- Commitment to understand race, class, gender, and other equity issues as part of one’s work as well as the impact these structural issues have on our collective work environment
- Commitment to social, racial, and economic justice along with understanding of community organizing to include voter registration
- Proven track record of planning, managing, and executing complex internal systems
- A goal-driven, detail-oriented self-starter and problem-solver with ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to receive and integrate performance-based feedback as well as the ability to provide relevant and timely feedback to peers in a constructive manner
- Undergraduate degree preferred or relevant experience
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish preferred
- Valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation
- Some familiarity with, or interest in, relationship-based organizing, leadership development, and team building
- Fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus
Chief of Staff is not a strictly 9am-5pm position. The work schedule can at times be greater than 40 hours per week and includes evening and weekend work, as necessary, with moderate travel as necessary to complete job duties (including attending events).
- Salary range between $65K-$75K/year, paid weekly, commensurate with experience
- Paid vacation, sick days, and holidays
- 100% individual medical, dental and vision
- Retirement plan eligibility after three months
- Mileage Reimbursement
No calls. Please email your resume to email@example.com and indicate, “Chief of Staff” on
the subject line.