Full Time – Multiple Regions (including Philadelphia and its Suburbs, Dauphin/Lancaster, Allegheny, or Northampton Counties)
Reports to the Regional Organizing Director
About the New Pennsylvania Project
The New Pennsylvania Project (NPP) was established in May 2021 modeled by the success of
the New Georgia Project. NPP is a voting rights organization with a year-round primary focus on
voter registration, civic education, and mobilization. NPP centers historically disenfranchised and
often neglected Black, Indigenous, and other people of color, immigrant communities, and the
youth in our work. Through civic engagement, we ensure all eligible voters feel compelled to
exercise their freedom to vote in the Commonwealth.
The Role: Community Engagement Associate
The New Pennsylvania Project seeks passionate, energetic, and motivated professionals that
will join our ground team who are responsible for voter education and engagement in diverse
communities throughout Pennsylvania. Community Engagement Associates (CEA) are one of
the most critical positions, as our organization was built on direct voter contact. This position will
work within a fast-paced and flexible organizing and paid canvassing program. CEAs should be
well-organized and enjoy working independently and meeting new people, as must be
passionate about civic education and participation.
Because our centered communities and colleagues come from a wide range of backgrounds,
this position needs to be able to thoughtfully navigate issues related to diversity, equity,
inclusion, and accessibility; and bring a deep commitment to advancing these values. Due to the
nature of our work, the individual must be willing to work long or irregular hours including nights
- Canvass communities and neighborhoods to register Pennsylvanians to vote
- Engage potential voters in conversation regarding how and why to vote
- Maintain familiarity with (and adhere to) relevant law regarding voter registration
- Educating individuals and groups about the positions and issues on the ballot in each
election, and emphasizing the importance of each person’s vote
- Perform quality checks and report data on registrations each day
- Proficiency using Votebuilder (VAN) or ability to learn new applications (Preferred)
- Canvassing experience preferred (Preferred)
- Residency in target neighborhoods/municipalities (Preferred)
- At least 18 years old (Required)
- Valid driver’s license and reliable access to a vehicle (Required)
- Comfortable standing/walking for extended periods of time and in different weather
- Working smartphone (Required)
- Committed to voter education (Required)
- Ability to work long or irregular hours that include evenings and weekends
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish (Preferred)
- Ability to work autonomously
- Strong sense of urgency while remaining calm under pressure
- Ability to troubleshoot for effective resolution
- Required full vaccination against the COVID-19 virus
- Salary range between $35K-$40K/year, paid weekly, commensurate with experience
- Paid vacation, sick days, and holidays
- 100% individual medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Gas stipend
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above position description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being
performed. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills
required for the position.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals
with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or
significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be
performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any
other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their
supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/ or abilities. To
perform this position successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to
perform each duty proficiently.
Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
No calls. Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know in the subject line which of the five regions you are applying for.