Reports To: The Director
About the New Pennsylvania Project:
The New Pennsylvania Project (NPP) was established in May 2021 modeled by the success of the New Georgia Project. NPP is a voting rights organization with a year-round primary focus on voter registration, civic education, and mobilization. NPP centers historically disenfranchised and often neglected Black, Indigenous, and other people of color, immigrant communities, and the youth in our work. Through civic engagement, we ensure all eligible voters feel compelled to exercise their freedom
to vote in the Commonwealth.
About The Position
The Director of Programs is responsible for the implementation and management of the New Pennsylvania Project’s in-state on-the-ground program. This will include hiring and directly working with all in-state field staff through a strong managerial structure that oversees up to seven regional organizing directors, across the state. The Director of Programs should expect to observe and train staff in the field, which could require up to six hours of walking at a time.
Because our target communities and colleagues come from a wide range of backgrounds, this position needs to be able to thoughtfully navigate issues related to diversity, race, equity, and inclusion, and bring a deep commitment to advancing these values. The incumbent will also need to bring a strong commitment to excellence and true collaboration, an ability to work quickly but carefully, and appreciation for/patience, and developing and growing team members.
Additionally, this position has recurring work situations that involve having a high degree of discretion. The need for accuracy and effective utilization of accepted programs and routines is high. Errors in judgment will waste resources and adversely impact performance.
- Lead the hiring, onboarding, management, development and training of a large staff
of regional organizing directors and community engagement associates
- Coach and train staff and volunteers on best practices for voter registration collection, civic engagement and mobilization
- Prioritize quality voter interactions without sacrificing quantity
- Implement rigorous processes for meeting assigned goals associated with each metric on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis
- Facilitate communication between the field team, senior leadership and other departments in NPP (C4) and the New PA Project Education Fund (C3)
- Maintain relationships with the C3 and C4 tables to coordinate voter registration and mobilization efforts
- Communicate with board of directors, donors, and volunteers on a monthly basis at meetings, trainings, and briefing calls
- Analyze data and modeling to create and track progress in voter contact universes
- Research, test, and select innovative voter contact tools and integrate them into the field plan
- Additional duties as assigned
- 2-3 cycles of competitive field experience – issue advocacy experience is a bonus
- Expert-level understanding of Votebuilder (VAN)
- Knowledge of and ability to train in relational organizing techniques
- Ability to work long or irregular hours – travel up to 50% of time
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Undergraduate degree preferred or relevant experience
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish preferred
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Ability to work autonomously and patiently
- Adaptable self-starter who can take appropriate initiative to drive for results
- Some familiarity with, or interest in, relationship-based organizing, leadership development, and team building
- Fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus
Limitations and Disclaimers
The above position description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the position.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/ or abilities. To perform this position successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
Salary range between $72K-$80K/year, paid biweekly, commensurate with experience and
- Paid time off/vacation days/holidays
- 100% individual medical, vision and dental, and life insurance
- Travel reimbursement
- Retirement plan with employer matching after three months
No calls. Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate, “director of programs” on
the subject line.