Reports to the Director of Organizing
About the New Pennsylvania Project
The New Pennsylvania Project (NPP) was established in May 2021 modeled by the success of the New Georgia Project. NPP is a voting rights organization with a year-round primary focus on voter registration, civic education, and mobilization. NPP centers historically disenfranchised and often neglected Black, Indigenous, and other people of color, immigrant communities, and the youth in our work. Through civic engagement, we ensure all eligible voters feel compelled to exercise their freedom to vote in the Commonwealth.
The Role: Regional Organizing Director — Chester/Delaware Counties
The Regional Organizing Director will be responsible for recruiting, training, and managing a
team of paid organizers and volunteers; executing the statewide organizing plan; planning and executing educational community events and town halls; creating connections with community organizations/stakeholders; spending 20 hrs/ week supporting the team on the ground, supervising the operation within their assigned regions. This position will work within a fast-paced and flexible organizing and paid canvassing program. Regional Organizing Directors will report directly to the Director of Organizing. Because our centered communities and colleagues come from a wide range of backgrounds, this position needs to be able to thoughtfully navigate issues related to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility; and bring a deep commitment to advancing these values. Due to the
nature of our work, the individual must be willing to work long or irregular hours including nights and weekends.
Recruit, Train, and Manage a Staff of Organizers/Volunteers (30%)
- Recruit, hire and manage a team of 5-10 part-time and full-time staff
- Train staff on effective canvassing and organizing techniques
- Being a skilled manager of people
- Oversee a robust volunteer recruitment and training campaign in the assigned region
- Conduct extensive coaching and development on best practices for organizing,
community education, canvassing, recruitment, and retention
- Conduct weekly staff and individual meetings
On the Ground (40%)
- Lead by example. At a minimum, spend 20 hours on the field with the team to train new staff and volunteers; hire from the centered communities, identify connections, evaluate current staff, and educate the public on the issues
- Build crucial relationships with leaders/ organizations in assigned communities
- Lead educational events and town halls, and represent NPP at community events and meetings when advised by the organization
- Ability to lead and build trust with your team to ensure there is no need to micromanage
Administration, Goals, and Metrics (30%)
- Grow our network of supporters and volunteers through various tactics, including one-on-one meetings, phone calls, zoom meetings, and texting.
- Monitor metrics within assigned region and follow systems to meet assigned goals
- Ensure daily, weekly, and monthly goals are met and exceeded
- Ensure all required soft reporting is accurate and timely, and that all regional data is entered on time
- Utilize rigorous standards for data collection and use within the VAN platform
- Having a passion for community organizing and movement building
- Familiarity of the region/ communities assigned (Required)
- Proficiency using Votebuilder (VAN) (Required)
- Knowledge of and ability to train staff on persuasive canvass techniques (Required)
- 2 or more years working with teams of volunteers (Required)
- 2 or more years of experience managing a team (Required)
- Access to a portable computer and internet access (Required)
- Valid driver’s license and own transportation (Required)
- Ability to work long or irregular hours including nights and weekends
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bi-lingual (Preferred)
- Ability to travel
- Strong coaching skills and organizational skills
- Strong sense of urgency and ability to multitask while remaining calm under pressure
- Ability to work and manage staff independently to troubleshoot for effective resolution
- Full vaccination against the COVID-19 virus is required
- Salary range between $50K-$55K/year, paid weekly, commensurate with experience
- Paid vacation, sick days, and holidays
- 100% individual medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Retirement plan eligibility after three months
- Gas stipend
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above position description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the position.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/ or abilities. To perform this position successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
Please no calls. Please email your resume to email@example.com and let us know on the subject line which role you are applying for.