Regional Organizing Director: Chester & Delaware Counties
WHO WE ARE
The New Pennsylvania Project (NPP) is a voting rights organization with a year-round primary focus on voter registration, civic education and mobilization. NPP centers historically disenfranchised and often neglected Black, Indigenous and other people of color, immigrant communities and the youth in our work. Through civic engagement, we ensure all eligible voters feel compelled to exercise their freedom to vote in the Commonwealth.
The New Pennsylvania Project has a shared services agreement with the New PA Project Education Fund (“NPPEF”), a non-partisan 501(c)3 voting rights organization. Staff may, at the request of NPP, provide similar services to NPPEF. Any time spent providing services to NPPEF will be considered part of the hours and duties set forth by NPP.
NPP centers communities who live in urban, rural and suburban Pennsylvania to include: Philadelphia, Montgomery, Delaware, Chester, Bucks, Dauphin, Cumberland, Lancaster, Allegheny, Berks, Lehigh, Monroe and Northampton counties. We are consistently engaging these communities, educating neighbors, colleagues, and friends about civil rights, fair education funding, marijuana legalization, economic justice, and environmental justice and stewardship.
ROLE – Regional Organizing Director
The Regional Organizing Director will be responsible for recruiting, training, and managing a team of paid canvassers and volunteers; executing the statewide organizing plan; planning in partnership with the Director of Campaigns & Engagement and executing educational community events and town halls; creating connections with community organizations/stakeholders; spending 20 hrs/week supporting team on the ground; and supervising the operation within the their assigned regions. This position will work within a fast-paced and flexible organizing and paid canvassing program. Regional Organizing Directors will report directly to the Director of Programs.
Because our centered communities and colleagues come from a wide range of backgrounds, this position needs to be able to thoughtfully navigate issues related to diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility; and bring a deep commitment to advancing these values. Due to the nature of our work, the individual must be willing to work long or irregular hours including nights and weekends.
Managing Relationships (25%)
- Recruit, hire, and manage a team of 5-10 part-time and full-time staff
- Hire from centered communities, identify connections, evaluate current staff
- Train staff on effective canvassing and organizing techniques
- Being a skilled manager of people
- Conduct extensive coaching and development sessions with team on best practices for organizing, community education, and canvassing
- Conduct weekly team meetings and 1-on-1s with each member of the team
- Lead by example. At minimum, spend 20 hours on ground with the team to support and train staff and volunteers to collect voter registrations
- Provide civic education to direct reports and our centered communities
- Develop crucial relationships with leaders/organizations in assigned communities
- Lead educational events and town halls, and represent NPP at community events and meeting when advised by the organization
- Ability to coach a team to work independently
- Prepare and manage regional team for Get Out The Vote (GOTV) activities
- Cut turf that will be used for canvassing activities during GOTV
Administration, Goals, and Metrics (25%)
- Work with the Director of Campaigns & Engagement to grow our network of supporters and volunteers through various tactics, including one-on-one meetings, phone calls, zoom meetings and texting
- Schedule direct reports on a weekly basis, including managing and monitoring their hours, and approve weekly timesheets
- Monitor and achieve metrics within the assigned region. Make appropriate adjustments to meet assigned voter registration goals
- Develop strategy to ensure daily, weekly and monthly goals are met and exceeded
- Ensure all required reporting is accurate and submitted in a timely manner
- Utilize rigorous standards for data collection and quality control of voter registrations and GOTV activities
- Proficiency using Votebuilder (VAN) (Required)
- Knowledge of and ability to train deep canvass techniques (Required)
- 2 or more years working with teams or volunteers (Required)
- 2 or more years of experience managing a team (Required)
- Access to a portable computer and internet access (Required)
- Valid driver’s license and reliable access to a vehicle (Required)
- Ability to work long or irregular hours including nights and weekends
- Ability to work in an in-person/hybrid work environment, with the expectation of moderate to heavy travel inside and outside of assigned region
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bi-lingual (Preferred)
- Ability to work autonomously
- Strong coaching skills and organizational skills
- Strong sense of urgency while remaining calm under pressure
- Ability to troubleshoot for effective resolution
- Having a passion for community organizing and movement building
- Full vaccination against the COVID-19 virus is required
- Salary range between $64-$68K/year, paid weekly, commensurate with experience and requirement fulfillment
- Paid vacation, sick days, and holidays
- 100% individual medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Eligible for retirement plan after three months
- Travel reimbursement
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above position description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the position.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/ or abilities. To perform this position successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
No calls. Please email your resume to email@example.com and let us know in the subject line which of the regions you are applying for.